Owner’s warning as dog nearly dies on walk after being bitten by venomous snake

A dog owner has spoken out to warn others after his dog was bitten by a venous snake while out for a walk.

Adam Lane was walking his 11-month old puppy Enzo at Falling Foss, near Whitby, North Yorkshire when a snake slithering across the woodland path.

Enzo, an American Bulldog and Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross, is believed to have unknowingly stood on the reptile but carrie on his walk.

Adam noticed something was not right as they travelled home from their walk in the car.

The 26-year-old told Chronicle Live : “It was just so out of the blue. We were all shocked when we saw the snake – it was the first time I’ve seen one in the wild.

“Enzo was absolutely fine for the rest of the walk.

“My car actually started smoking up so I had to pull over on the way home.

“I went to let the dog out but his leg had swollen up so much and he wouldn’t move. I could tell he was in a lot of pain.

“The swelling was absolutely shocking. It was getting worse as it went up his leg and I was worried it was going to move up to his heart.

“As soon as we moved him he started screaming in pain which was really scary.

“It was only then that my friend reminded me about the snake and the possibility Enzo could have been bitten, which hadn’t even crossed my mind.”

Thankfully Adam’s friend managed to take a picture of the snake, which a vet later confirmed was an adder – the UK’s only venomous snake.

At the vets Adam was told the snake bite was not covered under Enzo’s pet plan, and he was asked to fork out £1,100 in a bid to save his dog’s life – cash he simply did not have.

“I couldn’t believe it,” the father-of-two said.

“I started crying and panicking about what would happen to Enzo.

“It’s just Enzo and me for half the week when I don’t have my kids and he’s a big part of my life.

“I couldn’t stop thinking about how devastated I’d be if anything happened to him.

“The vets basically said they needed half the money straight away or they may have to put Enzo down.”

Enzo was administered anti-venom and put under observation for an agonising 24-hour period for his owner.

But energetic Enzo responded well to treatment and is on the road to recovery.

Reflecting back on a rollercoaster week, Adam says he hopes no other dog owner has to endure his “horrible” experience.

He said: “The first two days were horrendous. I was ringing the vets all the time.

“We’ve been worried sick but I’m so happy he’s alive and on the mend.

“We’re hoping he won’t need more treatment and he’s just finished his round of painkillers.

“He’s back to his energetic, boisterous self. He loves life and has been getting a lot of cuddles off me and the kids.

“I must admit I’m reluctant to let him off the lead now.

“I still can’t believe he was bitten by a snake. I’ve never heard of anything like it in my life. It’s just completely unheard of.”

His friend Chloe Stockdale started a Gofundme page to help Adam with the vet bills and have been left overwhelmed with £435 raised in just a few days.

He said: “I’m very shocked but so grateful to everyone who has donated. It means the world to me.

“I’ve been desperately struggling for the funds because I’m only working 18 hours a week as I have my kids half the week.

“I ended up asking people for money, which I hated, but I had to do all I could for him. I can’t thank everyone enough.”